Is manual breast pump effective and safe?
There is no doubt that manual breast pumps are safe and beneficial for mothers. In order to express milk, mothers need to be as comfortable as possible. With a manual pump, you'll have more control over the suction power, making it easier for some mothers to get used to it. Breast pumping should not be hazardous to one's health. An economical breast pump that can be used on a regular basis is a manual breast pump.
Benefits of Manual Breast PumpThe ease of pumping breast milk and storing it for later use has allowed new mothers to return to work more quickly while still providing breast milk to their babies. However, using breast pumps has significant benefits and unexpected effects that many moms are unaware of. The following are the benefits of the manual breast pump:
- Cost efficient - Generally, manual breast pumps are less costly when compared to electric breast pumps
- Easy to carry - In terms of portability, manual breast pumps are perfect for traveling.
- Low sound - The noise level of a manual pump is lower than that of an electric pump, making pumping more discrete.
- No electricity required - The manual breast pump is convenient because it does not need electricity to work. Hand pumping makes it easier to pump when you are at a non-electricity place like a park or a zoo.
Top 10 Manual Breast Pumps 2022
1. Best Silicone - Haakaa Manual Silicone Breast Pump
This is one of the best brand for manual breast pump. Using the Haakaa breast pump is an easy way to help with nursing. It is small, quiet, and lightweight, making it ideal for personal use. The sterilization time for the Haakaa manual breast pump is only about 2-3 minutes, making it simple to clean. Many well-known publications and lactation consultants around the world suggest this product, so we feel confident in recommending it.
Dimensions - 48 x 48 x 176 Millimeters
Pros - Easy to clean, Free-size, and guarded
Cons - Suction is minimal, and it's not completely hands-free
2. Best Value For Money - NatureBond Silicone Breast Pump
As breast milk is a priceless gift for your baby, Naturebond has eliminated the unnecessary pour areas that injure the skin when suctioned. The high-quality silicone is used in the product, which is BPA-free. The straps that come with this manual pump are a major selling point of this product.
Dimensions - 17.78 x 7.62 x 7.62 cm; 200 Grams
Pros - Dishwasher safe, Light-weight and portable
Cons - Suction power is less
3. Best For Silicone Massage Cushion - LuvLap Adore Manual Breast Pump
There is no better way to mimic your baby's natural sucking than with the LuvLap Manual Breast Pump. A mother's specific requirements can be accommodated by the device's three distinct suction settings. The comfortable silicone massaging cushion on the Luvlap manual breast pump makes it easier to express milk with the pump.
Dimensions - 14.2 x 9.1 x 20.3 cm, 210 gms.
Pros - Comfortable, easy to assemble, and has a better grip.
Cons - Does not work on large breasts.
4. Best Non-Colic - SYGA Manual Breast Pump with Feeding Nipple
Manual breast pumps from SYGA use environmentally friendly silicone that is safe for mom and baby. In addition to being non-breakable, non-colic, and environmentally safe, this product is also portable. As a bonus, its it helps to ease breast pain and lumps.
Dimensions - 7.62 x 17.78 x 14.99 cm; 202 Grams
Pros - Soft, non-breakable, ultra-light design
Cons - Does not come with a warranty.
5. Best Single Hand - Medela Manual Harmony Single Hand Breast Pump with Flex Shields
The Medela Harmony is among the best breast pump on the market, Research has shown that sucking behaviour can be accurately depicted using a two-phase system of technology. Its oval shape is ideal for pumping and gives you more milk in no time.
Dimensions - 7.6 x 17.8 x 15 Centimeters, 202 gms
Pros - Comes with different sizes of breast shields, is best for stay-at-home mothers, and is easy to clean.
Cons - The pump loses suction with time.
6. Best Milk Catching - Chicco Natural Feeling Manual Breast Pump
New-age mothers can enjoy the unique experience of nursing in the most convenient and pleasant way. In the absence of the mother, her milk can be easily extracted, expressed, and stored in this way. This hand breast pump’s extra soft silicone cup delicately envelops the breast. You can put this hand breast pump together in minutes and clean it up in no time at all thanks to its compact design.
Dimensions - 7.87 x 3.73 x 8.81 cm; 400 Grams
Pros - Leak-proof design, It comes with a storage pouch.
Cons - May cause hand pain with regular use and does not include nipple
7. Best Adjustable - Pigeon Manual Breast Pump Essential
If you're just beginning to express breast milk, the Pigeon manual breast pump is the best option for you. The product includes a bottle that is BPA-free, an advanced sealing air cushion, and a bottle cover. It's a great solution for mothers who have difficulty latching on to their babies.
Dimensions - 17 x 16 x 10 cm; 240 Grams
Pros - Silicone diaphragm, easy to assemble and clean, Advanced sealing air cushion
Cons - It may give a peculiar smell, and suction power may not be as expected.
8. Best Temperature Indicator Ring - Trumom Manual Comfort Baby Breast Milk Breast Pump
This product's best feature is a temperature ring that changes colour to notify the mother if the milk is getting too hot. The product has a nipple and a lid to ensure the safety of the baby, and it has been authorized by the FDA as being completely safe for consumption by infants.
Dimensions - 21 x 9 x 26 cm; 400 Grams
Suitable for - 12 months and above.
Pros - Comes with one year, warranty and is a safe and pain-free option.
Cons - Mixed reviews on suction
9. Best Non-Toxic - Mee Mee Easy to Use Manual Breast Pump
Hand breast pumps are designed to collect and store milk in a way that is both safe and comfortable for both the mother and her baby. Wouldn't it be great if you could set the pump in any position and still breastfeed? This is now possible thanks to the Mee Mee manual breast pump. The Mee Mee manual breast pump is made of non-toxic, BPA-free, and clinically approved food-grade material. This is the best manual breast pump because it is small, portable, easy to use with one hand, and the suction power can be changed.
Dimensions - 26.5 x 9.5 x 22 cm; 270 Grams
Pros - Affordable prize, extra comfort, and elegant design.
Cons - Not durable
10. Best Comfortable - Dr Trust Manual Baby Breast Feeding Milk Breast Pump
The pump is made to mimic the feeling of pumping your breasts naturally. The product's suction power can be adjusted to help moms produce milk more quickly. Hand controls make it easier and more comfortable to use when pumping breast milk. Convenience and cost savings are the hallmarks of this product.
Dimension - 20.3 x 19.3 x 9.1 cm; 340 Grams
Pros - High-grade silicone, extra comfort, and great built
Cons - Might cause tissue damage
How To Choose The Best Manual Breast Pump?Choosing a breast pump can be difficult because of the huge variety available. Picking up a breast milk pump machine when pregnant may not be at the top of your priority list and that's completely reasonable. When it comes to nursing and expressing, each mother and her baby are different, and these differences can alter throughout the course of the process.
There are a few things you should keep in mind when purchasing a manual breast pump, so let's get started on determining what factors to consider when purchasing a breast pump:
- Material: When shopping for a manual breast pump, look for one that is made of food-grade material, is BPA-free, non-toxic, and is appropriate for your skin type.
- Durability: Manual breast pumps that are strong and long-lasting are always appreciated by parents. Choose a manual breast pump that is simple to use and durable.
Suction power: When purchasing a manual breast pump, keep in mind that suction power works in your favour, causing you less hassle and allowing you to control the suction power the way you prefer.
How To Pump Breastmilk Using Manual Pump?The following are steps to incorporate while pumping milk from a manual pump:
- Makes sure you have sanitized your hands and the container you are going to use to collect the milk.
- Be relaxed and sit in a warm place
- Hold your breast in a C shape with your fingers, making sure you don't touch the areola.
- Back your fingers and thumb against your chest.
- Now, using your fingers, compress your breasts without lifting them.
- And now, without moving your hand away from your breast, release.
[Related - How To Use Guide Of Best Manual Breast Pumps]
In essence,Mothers all over the world can agree that breast pumps have made their lives much easier. Breastfeeding mums have literally been able to return to work thanks to the convenience of pumping and storing their milk for later use.
1. Which breast pump is best manual or electric?
If you want to pump on a regular basis, a manual pump is more effective than an electric breast pump. But electric breast pumps are more labour-friendly.
2. Is a manual breast pump painful?
A manual breast pump shouldn’t be painful while using, though it might feel uneasy for beginners.
3. How to clean breast pumps?
It is very easy and convenient to clean the manual breast pump. You can either sterilize it by putting the parts of the pump in hot water or in a dishwasher.
4. When should you use a manual breast pump?
When storing milk or in an emergency, a manual breast pump can be used.
5. Does a manual breast pump hurt?
It might feel unusual while your nipples stretch while pumping, but it won’t hurt.
6. Does manual breast pump increase milk supply?
While using a manual breast pump, the amount of milk you produce may increase as you pump consistently throughout the day.
7. How often can you use the manual breast pump?
Throughout the day, one can use the manual breast pump up to 15-20 times, depending on the needs of the baby.
8. How long does it take to use a manual breast pump?
Using a manual breast pump can take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes on average.
The goal of BabyG is to aid parents with their children's growth and development from birth to three years of age. We write about things that parents need and want for their little one. A manual breast pump is a must-have item for any mother. The BabyG app includes knowledge on breast feeding dos and don’ts, formula feeding vs breast feeding and other topics related to breastfeeding journey of parents.
To learn more about your baby's developmental and nutritional needs, download the BabyG App now!